Weekend in Santiago de Compostela


Santiago de Compostela has a lot to offer both pilgrims and tourists. Centuries of history and culture intermingle in its narrow streets and enter its majestic monasteries

lightbulb_outline234 Tips

crop_original96 Photos

location_on24 Places

room

Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela


The ruins of the most imposing Roman amphitheater

  • It is recommended to book a visit to the museum.


  • The cathedral ticket also includes a visit to the Museum of the Collegiate Church of Sar.


  • After two thousand years of history as a spiritual center, the Cathedral today appears as a heterogeneous set of spaces and aesthetic elements in which the extraordinary history of Compostela can be read.


  • The Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela began as a Roman mausoleum where the remains of the Apostle Santiago were buried after his beheading in Palestine in 44 AD.


  • As a result of the Roman persecutions of the Christians in Hispania, his tomb was abandoned in the 3rd century. His remains were miraculously rediscovered by the hermit Pelayo, who observed heavenly signs in the place.


  • The discovery was recognized by Bishop Teodomiro de Iria as a miracle, which is why King Alfonso II of Asturias ordered the construction of a chapel on the site. It is said that the King was the first to make a pilgrimage, traveling what is now known as the “primitive route” from Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela.


  • The city of Santiago begins to be built from the Cathedral, with the buildings that the first settlers and monastic groups, in charge of the protection of the relics, were building around the church.


  • The construction of the “Romanesque Cathedral”, in the shape of a cross, was commissioned by King Alfonso VI el Bravo and Bishop Diego Peláez in the 10th century, to house the growing wave of pilgrims.


  • Over time, Gothic, Renaissance and especially Baroque elements would be added to the Romanesque floor, thanks to the incessant flow of money from the archbishopric and patrons, who found in the chapels places of prayer and eternal rest.


  • The greatest aesthetic revolution would come to the temple in Baroque times, which began in 1660 by transforming the main altar and the dome; to later shape the organs, trace the canvas of the Holy Door, embellish the Clock Tower and reach its greatest splendor with the culmination in 1750 of the most iconic image of the cathedral: its magnificent facade of the Obradoiro.


  • The cathedral is the final destination of the thousands of pilgrims who have been making the Camino de Santiago for centuries, and it is not in vain, just entering it makes any trip worthwhile. Definitely one of the most amazing churches in Europe.


  • Entry Basic Rate € 12 Visitors who cannot benefit from the reduced or free rate. Reduced Rate € 10 Members of large families with Family Book accreditation. Unemployed Pilgrim students accredited Over 65 years old Free access € 0 Under 12 years


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: November to March. Monday to Sunday: 10:00 - 20:00 April to October. Monday to Sunday: 09:00 - 20:00 Close ticket offices and access to the museum one hour before


room

Praza do Obradoiro


The heart of Santiago de Compostela

  • In the square you can hire different guide services around the city.


  • The Plaza de Obradoiro is the monumental center of the city. From it, emblematic buildings such as the Palacio de Rajoy, the Hostal de los Reyes Católicos, the Colegio de San Jerónimo and the most important, the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela are visible.


  • The most photographed image of the cathedral is the one that overlooks the Plaza de Obradoiro, which was placed before the building between the 17th and 18th centuries as a great ornamental curtain. Until then, an arch allowed us to see the Pórtico de la Gloria, now sheltered inside.


  • The double-throw stairs are from the early seventeenth century, and allow to save the unevenness of the land between the square and the floor of the Cathedral. That is precisely the function of the crypt, whose door opens between the first steps. Romanesque in style, it also serves as the architectural and conceptual support to the Pórtico de la Gloria.


  • The Royal Hospital was built from 1501 by order of the Catholic Monarchs, who had visited Santiago in 1486 and noted the deficiencies in health care for citizens and pilgrims. The architect Enrique de Egas built the hospital in a style that says goodbye to the late Gothic and greets the first airs of the Renaissance.


  • The rector of the University of Santiago de Compostela today occupies the Colegio de San Xerome, on the south side of Plaza del Obradoiro. Built in the 16th century by Bishop Fonseca to accommodate poor students of the Arts, this Renaissance building shows a late-Gothic portal that originally belonged to the Azabachería pilgrim hospital.


  • This neoclassical building that receives the name of the founding archbishop allowed the definitive closure of the until then called “Plaza del Hospital”, and from there “Plaza Mayor”. Its tympanum is decorated with the relief of the Battle of Clavijo, that first battle in which, according to legend, the figure of the warrior Apostle appeared to help fight the Muslim invasion. Santiago, represented as the patron saint of the Reconquest, crowns the construction.


  • A view of the square serves to summarize and the history of the city. A 360-degree turn allows the naked eye to recognize the presence of different architectural styles, which emerged in more than 700 years of construction.


  • Free pass


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Casal do Cabildo


One of the best representatives of the Galician Baroque

  • Do not miss the two gargoyles on the façade, which keep the water away from the roof. They are worth looking at carefully.


  • This ornamental façade of just over three meters deep and raised in front of the Puerta de Platerías closes the beautiful square in which it sits.


  • It was built in 1758 by the architect Clemente Fernández Sarela with a purely theatrical function: that of closing the square. It is considered one of the most important and well-known Galician baroque scenography interventions.


  • Restored in 2011 at the initiative of the Santiago Consortium, the Casa do Cabido has become part of the museum nucleus of the historic city, together with the Museo das Peregrinacións and the Santiago Museum.


  • Conceived to close the square, today it is one of the best-preserved buildings in the city, as well as being part of the city's museum nucleus.


  • Free


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tue-Sat: 10-14h; 16-20h (Summer: 17-21h). Sun: 11-14h. Closed Monday.


room

Mercado de Abastos de Santiago


The historic commercial center of the city

  • This is a good place to stock up on groceries or have lunch at the food courts.


  • The Mercado de los Abastos has been in operation since 1873, occupying different parts of the city over the years until settling in its current place in 1941.


  • Since 2000, the market has been managed by a cooperative made up of 70 operators.


  • The Market has been in operation for the last three centuries, becoming a leading center in the commercialization of fresh products in Santiago.


  • This is where the past meets the present. A historic market, with shops and restaurants, to walk around and stock up on local merchants.


  • Free


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Open Monday to Saturday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The busiest time is between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m., and on the best days Thursdays and Saturdays.


room

Parque de Belvís


A comfortable walk between the granite walls

  • It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes and walking sticks if necessary.


  • The park extends along the Belvís valley: an elongated space made up of meadows through which a small stream runs. The walls, the benches of the land and the historical roads -such as the picturesque alley of the Trompas- were respected in the project of this park.


  • This "void"; Green separates, and at the same time relates, the historic site with the large buildings of the Belvís convent and the Minor Seminary, constituting a kind of natural "moat" of the medieval city. From its highest part you can enjoy unique views of the entire city.


  • In the park, its old orchards have been recovered in recent years for the use of its citizens through traditional practices and organic farming.


  • Every Tuesday around 7:00 pm in the park the “Entre Lusco e Fusco” market operates, where local producers offer organic products mostly harvested from the surrounding orchards.


  • Another beautiful park to explore. Between the orchards and the granite walls, reaching the highest part of the green area, you get a privileged view of the urban area.


  • Free pass


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Rúa das Brañas do Sar


Tour of the old rural areas of the city

  • Las Breñas de Sar consists of a 4km route. It is recommended to bring comfortable shoes and a cane if you deem it necessary.


  • Las Brañas de Sar is a 33-hectare area that forms part of the Sar river basin. The walk runs from the pools and the Multipurpose Fontes do Sar to Pontepedriña, framed to the east by the Viso, Gaiás and Santas Mariñas mountains and to the west by the urban façade of the city, with the railway line.


  • Along 4 kilometers, between the city and the mountains, the walk plunges into a rural Santiago of fields, terraces on the slopes, mills, ditches and the riverside forest, passing through the beautiful Collegiate Church of Sar, the road or Camino Real and the Romanesque bridge until you reach Eugenio Granell Park.


  • Until the 60s of the last century, these brañas were a populated space. El Sar was the beach of Compostela. Young and old went to bathe in their natural pools and have a picnic on its shores. Others washed, worked the land or went to grind corn in the mills. In the ethnographic group there is evidence in five mills and a system of canals, ditches, walls, washhouses and dams that carry the water, in addition to the paths, steps and stone bridges.


  • The Romanesque bridge of Sar, 22 meters long, part of the Roman road of Sar and the entrance route of the pilgrims from the Vía de la Plata to Santiago. This route entered the walled city through the Mazarelos gate or through the Mámoa gate.


  • As for the vegetation, there are abundant natural pastures and vegetable gardens, vegetables and fruit trees. In the hillside areas there are farmlands (agras). Around the river and the canals there are areas of riverside forest with birch, alder, willow, elder, ash, laurel, oak, lilies and numerous herbaceous trees.


  • The Brañas de Sar provide shelter and food for various species of reptiles, amphibians, birds and mammals. Otters, hedgehogs, moles, shrews, hares, squirrels, dormouses, genets, stoats, foxes, bats, mallards, herons, scanners, collared and water cobras, vipers, lizards, newts, salamanders, toads, frogs and numerous birds, such as eagles, hawks, hawks and owls.


  • Formerly inhabited by rural settlers, the Breñas de Sar are a beautiful ecological park to stroll and rest, also preserving facilities that testify to how people lived on the outskirts of the city.


  • Free pass


  • Free


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Museo Colegiata de Sar


The only Romanesque monument that remains

  • The entrance to the Museum of the Collegiate Church of Sar can be purchased in combination with the Museum of the Cathedral.


  • Check if it is not under restoration.


  • Built in the 12th century on the banks of the river Sar, it is, together with the Cathedral, the church that preserves most of its primitive Romanesque factory.


  • The interior, of beautiful proportions, impresses all who visit it by the inclination of the columns towards the lateral naves, giving a feeling of instability. The baptismal font, to the right of the main door, is an interesting archaeological piece from the 12th century.


  • Through the sacristy you can access the cloister, the only one that the city has in Romanesque style. Only one of the wings is preserved, the rest belongs to the 17th and 18th centuries. Inside there is a good collection of archaeological and liturgical pieces.


  • We can see in this small museum, founded in 1975, pieces of historical value and very important documentaries, such as the founding parchment of the temple, dated 1136 and sealed by Archbishop Diego Gelmírez.


  • Within the section dedicated to goldsmithing, you can see liturgical objects made in Compostela workshops during the 18th century. The archaeological section is made up of a series of pieces from the old Romanesque cloister, the work of Maestro Mateo or his school.


  • Although modest, the church and museum of the Collegiate Church of Sar is of great interest. Along with the Cathedral, it is one of the oldest buildings and contains relics of enormous historical value.


  • € 2 / free access with Museum tickets or visits to the Cathedral.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Every day, 11: 00-14: 00/16: 30-19: 30.


room

Casco histórico de Santiago de Compostela


A tour through the most important buildings

  • There is a wide spectrum of services and guided tours that are offered to get to know the most important points of the historic center.


  • The Acibechería square is the first that the traveler encounters when entering Santiago on the French Way. It was known as Puerta del Paraíso, but in the 18th century it was replaced by the current one, in a neoclassical style, and received the name of Acibechería. The art of jet making, closely linked to the Pilgrimage, flourished in Santiago since the 15th century. In this square were the workshops and stalls.


  • The Plaza de la Quintana is the one that follows in order of historical and architectural importance to Plaza de Obradoiro. It is surrounded by historic houses (Casa da Conga, Casa da Parra) and by the wall of the Monastery of San Paio de Antealtares.


  • The Plaza de la immaculada or Plaza de la Azabachería, is located between the north facade of the Cathedral of Santiago and San Martín Pinario. In the square there are numerous shops that offer tourists the sale of jet accessories or ornaments. Here, in the Plaza de la Inmaculada, the last sections of the French, English and Northern roads that enter the historic center through the Puerta del Camino.


  • The busiest street in the old town of Santiago is Rúa do Franco, which leads directly to the square in front of the cathedral. Here you will find numerous restaurants with Galician specialties. The Fontana del Moro, located in the southern part of the square, was created by Giacomo Della Porta in 1575, counting only on the dolphin and the newts. In 1653 Bernini would add the Moor in the center to give the name to the fountain.


  • Santiago de Compostela has so much to see that it is worth taking a stroll through the old town, and delving into its narrow streets to highlight its most important points.


  • Free


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Museo de las Peregrinaciones


The most important temple of Catholicism

  • It is recommended to reserve entry in advance.


  • The Museum of the Pilgrimages and of Santiago occupies the building of the old Bank of Spain, designed in 1939 by the architect Romualdo Madariaga Céspedes and built on the plot of the Espinosa houses.


  • The profound remodeling that the building has undergone to house the Museum of the Pilgrimages and Santiago corresponds to Manuel Gallego Jorreto (O Carballiño, 1936), one of the most prestigious Galician architects. He has designed, among other buildings, the residence of the president of the Xunta de Galicia or the Council of A Illa de Arousa.


  • The institution was created at the initiative of Manuel Chamoso Lamas at the end of 1951 with the name of Museum of Santiago de las Peregrinaciones. Its objective was to house the archaeological remains and other elements related to Santiago de Compostela and the Jacobean pilgrimage.


  • Santiago de Compostela would not be what it is today if it weren't for the pilgrimages. This museum tells the story of how the city grew to receive millions of pilgrims through the centuries.


  • € 2.40 GENERAL € 1.20 REDUCED - Groups that exceed 15 people and request an appointment 15 in advance. - Holders of a new card or card for students over 18 years of age. - Pilgrims who present the Compostela or similar documents. FREE - Under 18s. - Over 65 or retired. - Unemployed. - Cultural and educational volunteering. - Saturday afternoons from 2.30pm. - Sundays. DAYS OF FREE ENTRY May 18, International Museum Day. July 25, National Day of Galicia. October 12, National Holiday of Spain. December 6, Constitution Day.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday-Friday: 9: 30-20: 30. Saturday: 11: 00-19: 30. Sunday, holidays: 10: 15-14: 45. Closed Monday.


room

Misterio de San Paio de Antealtares


The temple of the Benedictine order

  • It is recommended to reserve entry in advance.


  • Previously, the building was a monastery of monks dedicated to San Pedro, founded in the 9th century by Alfonso II with twelve Benedictine monks, to take care of and worship the recently appeared tomb of the Apostle Santiago. The current construction belongs almost entirely to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, as the original was demolished.


  • After the departure of the Benedictine monks in 1499, the monastery was occupied by cloistered nuns. The convent was dedicated to San Paio, who as a child was martyred in Córdoba. His cutthroat image presides over the facade of the temple.


  • One of the side walls closes a flank of the Plaza de la Quintana with absolute sobriety, based on smooth walls without decoration. In the center of this wall, a tombstone commemorates the formation of the Literary Battalion organized by the Compostela university students to defend Galicia against Napoleon's Troops.


  • The church, with a Greek cross plan, was designed by Frei Gabriel de Casas. The main altarpiece stands out inside.


  • Through the church we can access the Museum of Sacred Art, in which the primitive altar that accompanied the apostolic sarcophagus is preserved and that was given by Xelmírez to this convent, replacing it with a more grandiose one inside the cathedral.


  • Another of the most beautiful and important religious monuments in the city, telling its story, this time from the perspective of the Benedictine monks.


  • Admission: € 1.50 for the Museum of Sacred Art


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Church and museum of sacred art, Monday-Saturday, 10: 30-13: 30 and 16: 00-19: 00 (from Monday to Friday the church opens at 10:00); Sunday, 16: 00-19: 00. WORSHIP. Conventual Mass: Monday-Friday, 7:30 PM; Saturdays, 8:00 (after lauds); Sundays and holidays, 12:00. Lauds: every day, 8:00 am (notify one day before if you want to participate). Vespers: every day, 20:00; Saturdays, 7:30 p.m. Office vigils: Saturdays, 9:15 p.m. LATHE SCHEDULE. 9: 00-13: 00 and 15: 30-19: 00.


room

Monasterio de San Martiño Pinario


An imposing church belonging to the Benedictine order

  • It is recommended to reserve entry in advance.


  • The monastery was built in the Plaza de la Inmaculada by a group of Benedictines who, after discovering the remains of the apostle, decided to settle in front of the Corticela chapel (which today is part of the Cathedral building).


  • The architects who worked on the church were the Portuguese Mateo López, who was in charge of the first designs; the Granada-born Bartolomé Fernández Lechuga, who builds the magnificent ribbed dome and organizes the interior space achieving great majesty; the Salamanca-born Peña y Toro, who is in charge of the containment works as the walls had been yielded, and finally, Fray Tomás Alonso and Fray Gabriel Casas, with different contributions to the monastery façade, cloisters, bell tower and monastic dependencies.


  • They preside in the central part, between the door and the oculus, the Virgin, San Bieito and San Bernardo, while in the pediment that crowns the portal is San Martiño distributing his cape with a poor man. The towers rise only to the height of the façade, due to opposition from the cathedral chapter, fearful that the basilica would lose visibility.


  • Inside, the lavish main altarpiece in the Baroque style, designed by F. de Casas y Novoa and executed by Romay, is strikingly striking. Closing the frontispieces of the transept we find the Altarpiece of San Bieito in the north and the Altarpiece of the English Virgin in the south. In addition to the above, we can also see the Altarpiece of the Socorro chapel, that of Santa Scholastica, that of Cristo de la Paciencia and that of Santa Xertrude.


  • It is also necessary to highlight the choir stalls, made in walnut by Mateo de Prado, and which is recognized as the most important of those made in Galicia and one of the main ones on the peninsular level.


  • During 1991, after the monastic rooms were refurbished and the valuable altarpieces cleaned and restored, it hosted the anthological exhibition of Galician art "Galicia no tempo".


  • Along with the Cathedral, the Monastery of San Martín are the most valuable examples of Galician Baroque.


  • € 4 general price. € 3 reduced price for: pilgrims, students, over 65s, large families, people with disabilities, unemployed people.


  • 45 min - 0 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Every day: 11: 00-19: 00 h.


room

Museo do Pobo Galego


A museum dedicated to Galician culture and identity

  • It is recommended to reserve tickets in advance.


  • The old convent of Santo Domingo de Bonaval, located on a hill outside the historic city, next to the path by which the pilgrims came to Compostela, today houses the Museum of the Galician People, which through a wide and varied set of pieces offers a panoramic view of the most representative manifestations of Galicia's own culture.


  • Its permanent rooms show various aspects of the world of the sea, traditional trades, the countryside, clothing and popular architecture. It also has sections of Galician archeology, painting and sculpture. Temporary exhibitions of diverse themes are regularly organized.


  • The Bonaval convent, founded in the 13th century by Santo Domingo de Guzmán, was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the 17th and 18th centuries. The most notable part was designed by the architect Domingo de Andrade. Inside you can admire an original triple helical staircase.


  • The Museum of the Galician People was established as an organism at the service of the community and feels committed to safeguarding traditions and customs that were often forgotten or relegated from official history, but which are precisely the essence where a people finds the footsteps of your identity.


  • In addition to the liturgical history, it is interesting to know the past of Santiago de Compostela through the traditions of its inhabitants. The Museum of the Galician People takes us on a journey through the culture and identity of its people.


  • Entry Ordinary entry: € 3. Reduced ticket: € 1 (over 65s, students). Free admission: Museum members, minors under 16 years of age and unemployed workers. Groups from 8 people: € 2. Visit to temporary exhibitions and Sundays: free.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tue-Sat: 10: 30-14: 00, 16: 00-19: 30. Sunday and holidays: 11: 00-14: 00. Closed Monday.


room

Centro Galego de Arte Contemporánea


A museum dedicated to regional art

  • To improve the experience, it is recommended to inquire at the time of the visit about the works that are on display.


  • The CGAC's main asset is its architecture, designed by the Portuguese Álvaro Siza, in a careful conjunction of exterior respect for the environment and an almost mystical sense in its interior, of intense contrasts between clean planes and the effects of an always indirect light.


  • The building successfully and brilliantly solved the enhancement of a part of Santiago de Compostela that had been degraded a few years ago when Valle Inclán Street was opened, a fact that upset the balance of the area's historical complex. The construction is respectful with the environment and complements the architectural spaces generated by the facades of the convent and the Church of Santo Domingo de Bonaval, and at the same time, it provides a new façade to the new street.


  • The structure of its interior consists of a large space, where the interplay of volumes in the rooms, the small sculptural details of the terrace or the presence of external light, make the whole a whim so that the visitor can taste its inside. It has several exhibition rooms on three levels, an auditorium, a library, a cafeteria for public use and an office area for the administrative services of the Center.


  • The materials used in the construction respect the own and defining materials of the city of Santiago de Compostela, stone and glass on the facades, and marble and wood inside. The adaptation to the place where it is built and its climate, together with respect and integration with the environment, are the maxims developed by the architect in the preparation of this project.


  • In front of the Museum of the Galician People, we find another project to enhance contemporary art in the historic center. It is worth visiting and having access to the latest artistic trends in the region.


  • Adult ticket: € 6. Under 18s and over 65s: € 4.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday-Sunday: 11: 00-20: 00 h. Closed Monday


room

Iglesia y Convento de San Domingos de Bonaval


A historic building with an exquisite Gothic interior

  • It is recommended to book tickets in advance.


  • The ticket is necessary to visit the museum. The church can be toured for free.


  • The church was built in the 14th century following the canons of mendicant architecture. It consists of three naves separated by semicircular arches and a stylized chancel with high windows and a ribbed vault.


  • Through the convent you can access its interior, in which the four Gothic tombs located on both sides of the altar, the 15th century Virgins with the Child and the Rosario Chapel, which contains Baroque altarpieces made by Pedro Taboada and Francisco Castro stand out. Tired.


  • Of great interest is the Pantheon of Illustrious Galicians, located in a side chapel of the church, where, among others, Rosalía de Castro, Castelao, Alfredo Brañas, Ramón Cabanillas and Francisco Asorey rest. For this reason, this temple is a place associated with Galician memory.


  • Inside the convent, the extraordinary triple helical staircase from the 17th and 18th centuries, the work of the architect Domingo de Andrade, stands out. It is made up of three independent spirals. Three independent ramps extend into the same space, leading to different rooms; only one of them reaches the viewpoint. The steps of the ladder are made of a whole piece, embedded in the wall about 30 cm. approximately and supported by an exterior rib with molding.


  • The church and convent of San Domingos de Bonaval has a movie interior. Another of the city's buildings to contemplate from the inside the majesty of the Gothic style.


  • General: € 3 Reduced: € 1 Children: Free entry


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10: 30-14: 00 and 16: 00-19: 30; Sunday, 11: 00-14: 00. Closed Monday.


room

Parque De Bonaval


An old graveyard converted into a beautiful park

  • Although the tour of the park is short, it is recommended to bring comfortable shoes and walking sticks as necessary.


  • It is noted that the park's opening hours change according to the season of the year.


  • Leaving aside the small garden of San Roque, located on land that belonged to the hospital and chapel of the same name, you arrive at the old farm and cemetery of the Dominican convent, rehabilitated as an urban park according to a project directed by the Galician architect Isabel Aguirre and the Portuguese Álvaro Siza.


  • Situated on a hillside facing west, it offers surprising views of the city's rooftops, to which the artist Chillida dedicated a sculpture that intentionally frames a vision of the city.


  • The performance is an example of perfect adaptation to the topography and pre-existing elements, which combines the undulating forms of the hillside with the linearity of the geometric lines that define its paths and benches. It respects the tripartite structure of the monastic estate: orchard, oak grove and cemetery.


  • The historic trees have been completed with new species, which also gives it a special botanical interest, highlighting the carballeira (oak grove).


  • San Domingo de Bonaval is a park with a subtle contemporary design that plays with perspectives, much enjoyed by locals and visitors, and an exceptional setting for artistic manifestations.


  • Free entrance


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Winter Hours: (October-March): 8.00-20.00h Summer Hours: (April-September): 8: 00-23: 00


room

Parador de Santiago de Compostela


A journey through the political history of the city

  • It is recommended to make sure of the hours in which they are open to the public each day, since they depend on the use and agenda of the institution.


  • The current building was ordered to be built in 1501 by the Catholic Monarchs to attend to the sick and pilgrims of the divine Xacobe, as can be read in the Latin inscription that runs along the upper frieze of the cover. Its construction, however, was already decided in 1492, coinciding with the discovery of America.


  • The project of the works is due to the royal architect Enrique Egas. In front of the façade we can see a strong 16th century chain supported by carefully carved pillars that delimits the property of the hospital and that has its origin in property disputes between the City Council and the Hospital authorities.


  • It has a beautiful Plateresque façade by the French masters Martín de Blas and Guil lén de Colás. On the pilasters of this portal we can see from bottom to top, the figures of Adam, Saint Catherine and Saint John the Baptist on the left and those of Eva, Saint Lucia and Mary Magdalene on the right.


  • The interior space is structured in a rectangular plan with four patios. The most artistic of these patios is the first that we find when entering to the left, in which the door that leads to the old San Luis room stands out above all.


  • The interior of the Hostel houses a beautiful pointed chapel, declared a National Monument in 1912. The most interesting part of this chapel with a Latin cross floor plan, located between the four courtyards, is the transept accessed through an iron latticework of beautiful invoice, work of the French locksmith Guillén.


  • If the cathedral represents the importance of worship in Compostela's history, the Hostal dos Reis Catolicos reflects civil and political life through time. A place to take your time and go through each section.


  • Entry € 3. Groups: € 2. Monday / Under 12 years: free


  • 45 min - 0 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Between November and May, you can visit the interior courtyards and the chapel. In high season (June - October), only groups accompanied by an official guide can visit the cloisters. Hours: Monday to Friday, Sundays: 10: 00-14: 00/16: 00-19: 00 h.


room

Rúa das Pedreiras


A tour of Compostela at night

  • It is recommended to inquire about shows and outdoor activities.


  • The wines, tapas and rations are a specialty of the whole old area, although the greatest concentration of these establishments is in the streets Franco and Raíña, Troia, and in the rúa de San Pedro and surroundings -Porta do Camiño, rúa Travesa, Plaza de Santo Agostiño, San Roque, etc.


  • In summer, for coffee and the first drinks, the Rúa de San Paio de Antealtares, full of terraces, is a good option if we opt for crowded places. Quieter are those of La Quintana, those of the main streets –Vilar and Nova- and those of Rodrigo de Padrón. And there are also terraces in interior gardens, hidden in delightful places.


  • Although each pub in the old city has its own decoration and personality, there are common characteristics to all of them: the small format, conditioned by spatial limitations and respect for the original distribution of historic buildings, and the unavoidable presence on the walls of the Compostela's most characteristic material, granite - in which many leave coins that express a desire to return -, which is often combined with wood on floors, ceilings and furniture.


  • Going out for tapas, or walking through the narrow streets of the city at night, between the tables of the pubs and outdoor shows, is another way to get into the culture of Compostela.


  • Free entrance


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Castillo de la Rocha Forte


Remains of the political struggle for the bishopric of Compo

  • In order to appreciate the history of the Rocha Forte Castle, it is recommended to schedule guided tours at the Office of the Historic City and Rehabilitation of the City Council of Santiago (hours from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.).


  • The Castillo de la Rocha Forte is an archaeological site that shows a period of occupation from approximately 1240 to 1467, the year in which it was destroyed to its foundations by the Irmandiños in the so-called Great Irmandiña War.


  • The castle was built by Archbishop Juan Arias around the year 1240 and, since then, it served as the archiepiscopal and town hall residence, witnessing much of the history of Santiago.


  • In the fourteenth century there was a conflict between Berenguel de Landoria, elected archbishop by Pope John XXII, and the compostelan bourgeois who wanted the city council to become dependent on the crown. Berenguel de Landoria took refuge in the Castillo de la Rocha Forte and from there undertook negotiations with the Burghers.


  • On September 16, 1320, an embassy of eleven burghers went to the castle to negotiate. The archbishop's soldiers close the doors and assassinate the people of Compostela, on the so-called Day of Wrath. Days later, peace was signed in the Church of Santa Susana, the archbishop regaining control of the city.


  • In the 15th century, La Rocha had become a building hated and feared by the farmers of the area. During the 1450s and 1460s, the archbishop's soldiers grouped together in the La Rocha detachment stole livestock, kidnapped farmers, and raped women.


  • The castle, along with other forts belonging to the secular nobility, were destroyed in the Great Irmandiña War, in the 15th century.


  • Although it is not part of the usual routes, the remains of the Rocha Forte Castle testify to the conflicts that arose between 1200 and 1500 for the control of Santiago de Compostela.


  • Free


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday to Sunday: from 9:00 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.


room

Parque Alameda


A cozy walk to walk or rest

  • It is recommended to bring comfortable shoes and a cane if you deem it necessary.


  • With an area of 8 hectares, it is made up of three well-differentiated parts: the Alameda walk, the Santa Susana carballeira (oak grove) and the Herradura walk.


  • Its privileged location, bordering a part of the historic city, made it the main urban garden, also highlighted by the variety and size of its arboreal and ornamental species.


  • On the Paseo de la Herradura you will find the best known and most admired urban view. From there you get a spectacular view of the cathedral standing out magnificent among the mass of historic buildings. It is the most portrayed postcard in the city.


  • In the center of the park is the Chapel of Santa Susana, where Archbishop Diego Gelmírez transfers the remains of the Saint. The chapel dates from the 17th and 18th centuries and belongs to the Baroque style.


  • The park is the reference point for walks and leisure for the people of Santiago. A very cozy space surrounded by green nature.


  • Free entrance


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Torre da Berenguela


One of the greatest treasures of the cathedral

  • The Berenguela Tower is part of the route of many guides who visit the historic center.


  • Initially it was conceived as a defense tower for the city of Compostela. Initiated in the 14th century by Diego de Padrón and ended by Berenguer Landoira, from which the name of the main bell of the Cathedral comes.


  • At 70 meters high, the tower next to those of the Cathedral is visible from much of the city.


  • The clock is equipped only with a hand that fulfills the function of marking the minutes, since the hours are announced by the chimes.


  • The Berenguela bell is the largest in the Cathedral, weighing 6,433 kilos, and legend has it that if some midnight, instead of ringing 12 chimes, it rang 13, the demon will have an hour to roam loose throughout the city.


  • Its bells are heard throughout the city, marking the rhythm of life for the people of Compostela. The clock tower is a work of art that adorns the skies of Santiago de Compostela.


  • Free entrance


  • 25 min - 0 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Museo de Tierra Santa


The connection between Jerusalem and Santiago de Compostela

  • It is recommended to book tickets in advance.


  • The Compostela convent of San Francisco, a monumental complex whose foundation dates back to 1214, houses the permanent exhibition of the Museum of the Holy Land in one of its cloisters.


  • Through the exhibits, which come entirely from the Holy Land, we can learn about periods as remote as the Paleolithic and from here on the entire historical process that the area has undergone until today.


  • The exhibited collections explain to us cultures so distant in time as essential to understand our own history, thus turning the museum into a cultural bridge that links the cities of Santiago and Jerusalem, already historically united, as they are two of the main pilgrimage centers.


  • The permanent exhibition of the museum of the Holy Land has been divided into the following sections: REMOTE PAST includes the periods from the Paleolithic to the Roman Domination. PRESENTE DE TIERRA SANTA shows the handicrafts of the area, made of mother-of-pearl and olive wood, which together with the models -mainly the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher- are the most admired pieces.


  • Since the s. I a. C. until World War I, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs and Turks were in charge of configuring the history of Jerusalem, civilizations represented in the CODICIAL JERUSALEM section; and under the heading CURRENT COEXISTENCE the various religions and cultures present in present-day Jerusalem are shown: Jewish, Muslim and Christian.


  • Models of the most significant historical and current buildings complete this tour; together with a valuable numismatic collection that shows us the coins used in the area from those minted by Alexander the Great to the present.


  • In addition to enjoying the building, an example of Galician Baroque, the visit is a unique opportunity to learn about the material culture and history of the Middle East, since it presents a tour of all the historical moments of the current State of Israel.


  • € 3. Students and retirees: € 2. School groups: € 1. Under 14 years: Free


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: 10: 30-13: 30, 16: 00-19: 00. Closed Monday.


room

Paseo Fluvial do río Sarela


A trip to a totally different environment

  • It is recommended to bring comfortable shoes and a walking stick if necessary.


  • The walk runs parallel to the small river Sarela and allows us to verify the historical importance that river channels have had in the articulation of the territory: bridges, ditches, canals, mills, tanning factories.


  • The tanning factories played a very relevant role in the economic development of the city from the mid-nineteenth century to the mid-twentieth century, as is clear throughout this journey that begins in one of these factory buildings, Ponte Sarela, and ends in the Carme de Abaixo, now restored as a housing development.


  • "Taming the waters" is the name given to the sculpture that adorns the fountain. It is about two newts trying to tame the seahorses tied to floats in the shape of an ocean shell. guiding a float in the shape of an ocean shell.


  • The path is shaded, as if it were a natural pergola, by oak trees and typical vegetation of the Galician banks: alders, birches, willows, etc.


  • The river paths and the preserved walls show us the life of the rural populations of the time. The River Walk of the Sarela River is an opportunity to enter a different environment in the middle of the city.


  • Free


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Parque Granxa do Xesto


Sunset in a fantasy forest

  • It is recommended to bring comfortable shoes and a walking stick if necessary.


  • Large natural space on the foot of Mount Pedroso, halfway between park and forest, being in fact the prelude to the forest park of that mountain, which is the most emblematic of Compostela.


  • In the Granxa do Xesto the forest, the meadow and small lakes fed by natural water mines coexist. It has 3 km of walks, a playground and various sports elements.


  • It is also the starting point of a network of trails that runs through the Pedroso, highlighting for its heritage interest the open-air Via Crucis that, marked by large stone crosses -cruceiros-, leads to the top, from where you discover the city spreading across the landscape.


  • The path is shaded, as if it were a natural pergola, by oak trees and typical vegetation of the Galician banks: alders, birches, willows, etc.


  • We go away from the city again, this time towards Mount Pedroso, to discover one of the greatest treasures that this city can give us. The sunset reflected in its mines and ponds.


  • Free


  • 1 h - 0 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Praza de Cervantes


A square dedicated to the most important Spanish writer

  • During the 12th century, the place that today occupies the Plaza de Cervantes was the popular meeting point, where the town crier read the municipal agreements and the Archbishop's ordinances. For this reason, one of the streets that leads to the square is called "Rúa do Querétoiro".


  • It is known that acts of faith were carried out in the square at the time of the Inquisition and that until 1570 the scroll or column around which justice was dispensed and whose foot stood the gallows was located there.


  • Both buildings are linked by a Galleria Lapidaria, an underpass that crosses the Plaza del Campidoglio without having to leave the museums.


  • Later, by specializing in the sale of food and merchandise, the space acquired the name of "Plaza del Campo" and the main market category. This also explains the name of the church of San Bieito do Campo, whose current neoclassical lines do not suggest that the foundation dates back to the 10th century.


  • The market was moved to the Plaza de Abastos at the end of the 19th century, the square acquired the definitive name of Cervantes. A bust of the writer crowns the fountain and reminds us that the author of “Don Quixote” was the bearer of two surnames of Galician origin: Cervantes and Saavedra.


  • Dedicated to one of the greatest authors of Spanish literature, the square tells an interesting and varied history of the city, having been used as a forum, as a place of inquisitions and as a market through the centuries.


  • Free


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed



0 Ratings