What to see in Logroño


If you are going to visit Logroño and you don't know what to see, in this guide we will show you the essential places of this jewel of northern Spain.

lightbulb_outline113 Tips

crop_original40 Photos

location_on10 Places

room

Concatedral de Sta. María de la Redonda


Main religious tourist attraction of the city

  • The secret jewel of the cathedral, which is nothing less than “El Calvario”, by Miguel Ángel Buonarroti, a small painting that you can see if you toss a coin.


  • The cathedral is built on an old Romanesque church that in 1435 was joined to another church, that of San Martín de Albelda, giving rise to a Collegiate Church.


  • In 1959 the collegiate church of Santa María de La Redonda was declared a co-cathedral.


  • The main construction dates from the 16th century, although numerous reforms took place between the 17th and 18th centuries, expanding the chevet, adding the Chapel of the Angels, the west portal and the towers.


  • The temple was declared a national monument in 1931 and in 1959 Pope Paul VI elevated it to the category of Co-Cathedral.


  • It is located in the middle of the old town of Logroño, between Portales and Caballerías streets and the Market Square. It is a beautiful baroque church that is currently the episcopal seat together with the cathedrals of Calahorra and Santo Domingo de La Calzada.


  • The main altarpiece and the Virgin that is in the central street are the most interesting works that you will be able to see inside.


  • Look at the chapel that is next to the entrance to the temple, that of Nuestra Señora de la Paz, in a Plateresque style.


  • Behind the main altar the ambulatory formed by three chapels opens, one of them contains the tomb of General Espartero.


  • Free.


  • 941257611


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Saturday, From 08:00 to 13:00 From 18:30 to 20:45 Sundays and Holidays, From 09:00 to 14:00 From 18:30 to 20:45


room

Plaza del Espolón


Also called Paseo del Príncipe de Vergara

  • In this square, the offering of the first must to the Virgin of Valvanera takes place, one of the most important celebrations of the Riojan Harvest Festival.


  • Nearby is Calle Laurel, an essential place to discover the local gastronomy.


  • The Tourist Office is located in the immediate vicinity.


  • Its origins date back to the nineteenth century, we highlight above all the impressive pruned banana walk.


  • It began to be configured in 1757 as a public walk outside the city walls. In 1809 it was expanded with some gardens belonging to the Seminary. It underwent other renovations in 1856, in 1931, and finally between 1940 and 1950 the Rosaleda, the Concha and the large central fountain were added.


  • In 1998 the adjacent streets were pedestrianized.


  • This walk is very close to the cathedral, in the center of the city, surrounded by historical, financial and administrative buildings, and with pedestrian areas, such as the so-called Paseo de las Hundred Shops.


  • In the middle of the square we can see an equestrian statue representing the politician and military Baldomero Espartero, who was regent of Spain with Queen Elizabeth II.


  • The iconic Concha is an auditorium located where the bandstand used to be. It was designed by Jaime Cerdell, it resembles a shell with two columns on each side of it.


  • On the other hand, the Rosaleda is a promenade of gardens with different types of rose bushes, metal arches so that plants can grow through them and some fountains popularly known as ¨the sources of the frogs¨ since they are the bronze frogs that spit water.


  • Free.


  • 941291640


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: 24 hours, public place.


room

Casa de las Ciencias


The old slaughterhouse, today a space for science and cultur

  • The gardens can also be visited, they are a fixed space that contains a large number of interactive games for the little ones, related to meteorology, geology and even paleontology.


  • Guided tours are also free.


  • In its origins this building was the old Municipal Slaughterhouse of the city. It was built according to a project by the architect Luís Barrón, and inaugurated in 1910.


  • It ceased to perform its functions as a slaughterhouse in the 1970s and after various uses, it was extensively remodeled to house the House of Sciences, which was inaugurated as such in 1999.


  • Following the banks of the Ebro we find a striking building, the Casa de las Ciencias, a construction of the so-called industrial style that draws attention above all for its reddish color.


  • It is a center dedicated to the dissemination of culture, science and technology, through exhibitions, conferences, workshops, courses, screenings, observations and scientific demonstrations.


  • All the exhibitions are free and on the website of the City Council you can see the program full of very varied activities.


  • On the ground floor there are four rooms for temporary exhibitions. On the first floor there is a conference room, classrooms and workshops.


  • Free.


  • 941 24 59 43


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday to Friday from 09:30 to 13:30 and from 17 to 19:30 Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 11 to 14 and from 17 to 20:30


room

Puente De Piedra


One of the four city bridges that span the Ebr

  • The stone bridge is one of the symbols of the city and appears on its shield. It is also the entry point of the Camino de Santiago to the city.


  • The current construction dates from 1884, as the old bridge collapsed in 1871. The architect was Fermín Manso de Zúñiga.


  • The real origin of the bridge is not known, but the Logroño Charter of 1095 is the first preserved written reference of a bridge that crossed the Ebro in the city.


  • Throughout its history, several floods, remodeling and collapses have been documented that have changed its appearance and functions up to the present day. There is currently a remodeling project that plans to expand the pedestrian areas of the same.


  • Although it is popularly known as Puente de Piedra, its real name is Puente de San Juan de Ortega, in reference to the chapel that existed on its left bank. This saint is credited with building the first stone bridge that existed over the Ebro in the city.


  • It is a magnificent bridge that is 198 meters long and has 7 arches with elliptical vaults of variable span. Its maximum height is 10.95 meters.


  • Free.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: 24 hours, public place.


room

Iglesia de San Bartolomé


The oldest church in the city.

  • The Church of San Bartolomé is at Milestone number 9 on the Camino Frances de Santiago. It is located 612 km from Santiago de Compostela.


  • It is the oldest temple of those that are preserved in the city, its construction must have begun in the second half of the 12th century, being its floor of the Romanesque style prevailing at the time, although an advance towards the Gothic is revealed on its door and its tower.


  • In 1823, during the Liberal Triennium, the cult was suppressed and the temple was plunged into neglect. It was used as a warehouse for wood and as a coal bunker. It had other uses such as a military hospital, a workshop, a stable ... and it was even considered to tear it down to build a theater. Due to all this, the interior is quite empty and poor compared to other churches.


  • It is a national monument since 1866.


  • The church of San Bartolomé is a National monument that is located in the old town of Logroño, located in the square of the same name.


  • The Cover is really impressive, it is a great pointed arch surrounded by six molded archivolts, under which two bodies are arranged. The upper one has a strip of canopies, which show a large group of sculptures with scenes from the life of Saint Bartholomew.


  • Inside, in the Capilla de los Márquez, we find two Gothic tombs that are worth seeing.


  • In the first Carlist civil war the optical telegraph was installed in the tower.


  • Free.


  • 941252254


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Saturday from 08:00 to 20:30 Sundays and holidays from 11:00 to 14:00 from 17:00 to 20:30


room

Calle Laurel


The center of gastronomy and tapas in the Riojan capital

  • Of course, this restaurant area of the capital of La Rioja has also reached the fashion of Basque origin, the pintxo-pote, which consists of offering for only 2 euros, every Thursday (except holidays and the eve of holidays) a pincho and a flat . There are already many cities, especially in the north of Spain, that have joined the wave of pinchos Thursdays.


  • The street runs parallel to the nearby Bretón de los Herreros street, where the old walls of Logroño stood until their demolition in 1862. Once the walls disappeared, the buildings that delimited the street were built.


  • In the little more than 200 meters that this street and its surroundings are established more than 65 bars and restaurants. The custom is that each one offers a couple of specialties, so there are many route recommendations that can be followed to fully enjoy your stay in Logroño.


  • Located in the heart of the old town, wherever you go, you can spend a while in any of its places to taste typical Riojan food.


  • In this street is the oldest bar in Logroño, the Blanco y Negro, which today is still one of the references of the street.


  • This area is also called the "Path of the Elephants" because it is said that everyone who enters leaves his trunk and on all fours.


  • It depends on the local /


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Each location has its own schedule.


room

Iglesia Sta. María de Palacio


The first Church of the Order of the Holy Sepulcher in Casti

  • On the north side is the cloister and inside it is worth visiting the Chapel of La Antigua, where there is a baroque altarpiece with the image of the Virgin, from the end of the 12th century. The Virgen de la Antigua is the Patron Saint of Logroño since 1599.


  • The temple was founded in the 11th century, but was rebuilt in the 12th century, and expanded in the 16th century. The church has three naves finished in apsidal chapels. The octagonal dome rises above the transept, which extends outwardly into the pyramidal tower in the Gothic style.


  • It receives the name of "Imperial" because Alfonso I "the Battler", king of Aragon, died towards the end of 1135 without succession, divided his kingdom in inheritance between three Orders of Jerusalem: that of the Holy Sepulcher, that of San Juan and that of the Temper. Later, Emperor Alfonso VII fulfilled this prerogative by donating his palace in Logroño to the Order of the Holy Sepulcher.


  • It is located on Calle Marqués de San Nicolás, better known as Calle Mayor. Its origins date back to an earlier church, Santa María la Vieja, founded by the Order of the Holy Sepulcher.


  • It is the first foundation of the order of the Holy Sepulcher in the Kingdom of Castile.


  • On the central nave of the church there is an octagonal lantern, known as “la Aguja”, which is one of the most significant elements of the city.


  • In the entrance portico, remains of the previous Romanesque work are preserved, as well as a font of holy water from 1747.


  • Inside, the main altarpiece stands out, the work of Arnao de Bruxelles.


  • Free.


  • 941249660


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Sunday from 09:00 to 13:30 From 18:30 to 20:30


room

El Cubo Del Revellín


The remains of the old medieval city walls

  • The most representative and interesting remains of the wall correspond to the wall faces that line the course of the Ebro, in addition to the cube, you can see the adjacent Puerta del Camino, decorated with the shields of Carlos V.


  • El Cubo del Revellín houses a center for the dissemination of heritage on the History of Logroño.


  • In the 16th century, Logroño was the main Castilian stronghold on the border with Navarra. The artillery cube was built between the years 1522 and 1524 under the direction of the master stonemason Lope de Insturizaga by order of Emperor Carlos V, who would thus reward the resistance offered by the people of Logroño against the assault of the Franco-Navarrese army in 1521.


  • One of the reasons why the Cube and the Gate have been better preserved than the rest of the walls, in addition to other circumstances, is the fact that they were built in the so-called Transitional Fortification era, that is, the phase that it mediates between the constructions with medieval techniques and the constructions with modern techniques.


  • Surrounding the old town through which we have been walking, are the remains of the medieval wall of Logroño, specifically the artillery cube of the fortification.


  • Its facilities were complemented by the adjacent Casa de la Artillería, the building where ammunition and military supplies of all kinds were stored.


  • The Cubo del Revellín consists of an upper cylinder where the gun pockets were located, housing the riflescopes for the shooters. At the bottom there was a powder magazine where ammunition and cannons were stored.


  • Free.


  • 941 503 116


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday and Friday: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. / 17 to 20 h. Saturday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. / 17 to 20 h. Sunday: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.


room

Parlamento de La Rioja


The seat of the Government of the region, former Convent of

  • It is necessary to arrange a visit.


  • The original building, the former La Merced Convent, dates from the 14th century, although the dates that appear on three shields located inside the cloister and the church indicate that it was during the 16th century that the most important renovations took place.


  • The convent carried out its religious function until the 19th century when, during the War of Independence, it became the headquarters of the French troops. After its withdrawal in 1813, its rooms were used by the English troops as a Military Hospital. Later it was used as a prison facility, until 1823. Once again occupied by the Mercedarian friars, it continued its religious use until 1835. Between the years 1847 and 1869 part of the Convent was occupied by Carmelite nuns, and in 1870 it was converted into an Infantry Barracks, maintaining this use until 1886, when it ended up in the hands of the City Council.


  • In 1895 the City Council gave it to the Tobacco Leasing Company to turn it into a factory and that was until 1983 when the building was declared a Site of Cultural Interest and became the seat of the Parliament of La Rioja.


  • It is located in the western part of the historic center of Logroño, next to one of the vestiges of the old city wall, the Puerta del Revellín.


  • The old cloister of the convent, dating from the 16th century, has an irregular shape and conserves a high floor and a low one made up of semicircular arches on Tuscan columns.


  • Currently the entire space of the old cloister is closed with a glass roof and houses the Plenary Hall, accessible only for accredited visits.


  • Free.


  • 941 287 728


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Casco Viejo


Walk the medieval streets of the city

  • Do not miss the opportunity to simply stroll through the streets full of atmosphere in the center of the Riojan capital, it is a city with history, a transit area for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago and full of shops and places where you can buy souvenirs and delicious meals. .


  • Along your walk through the area, you will find several historical buildings and palaces that today house the city's government and administration headquarters, as well as museums, religious buildings and educational centers.


  • Among the places that we can see in the Old Town is the old Town Hall that was located in the Los Chapiteles palace, on Portales street, dating from the 16th century, which was the Town Hall for 115 years, until 1980. In the Today it is the headquarters of the Institute of Rioja Studies.


  • Another highlight is La Iglesia de Santiago, a mandatory stop for any pilgrim. Inside is the Virgin of Hope, patron saint of the city, and the crypt of the condemned.


  • And of course the remains of the medieval walls and the new Parque del Ebro, a green area that turns the banks of the river into a paradise.


  • The old town of Logroño, as we have seen, is the part of the city where its most important historical and archaeological heritage is located.


  • The first houses in the city began to be built in the northern part of the town, today being Ruavieja and Barriocepo streets. Here are also the oldest buildings, as well as the Church of San Bartolomé.


  • Free.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: 24 hours, public place



1 Ratings

luisma76

luisma76

👏👏👏👏 Si visitais Logroño hazlo con estas guías, no te perderás nada de nada.

21/08/2020