One day in Huelva


One day touring the city of Huelva, the city where the discovery of America began.

lightbulb_outline127 Tips

crop_original48 Photos

location_on12 Places

room

Santuario de Nuestra Señora de La Cinta


Sanctuary in El Conquero

  • It is located at the top of a hill in the area known as Cabezo del Conquero, from where you can enjoy magnificent views.


  • In Marian iconography, the Virgen de la Cinta is a symbol of comfort and protection. Christian tradition tells that the Virgin gave a ribbon to Saint Monica as a symbol of the future conversion of Saint Augustine.


  • This religious monument in Gothic style dates from the 15th century, although it has been transformed later.


  • In the 18th century, a second floor was built over the church as a guesthouse and a house for the santero, and in 1955 the patio, the railings and the side chapels were renovated.


  • It is made up of three brick naves separated by pointed arches on semi-columns, crowned by capitals.


  • The main nave preserves a horseshoe arch that recalls its Mudejar ancestry.


  • The mural with the fresco painting of the Virgen de la Cinta that presides over the main Chapel was painted with egg tempera and gold leaf. It has been recently restored.


  • We begin the visit in the area of "El Conquero", visiting the Hermitage of the Patron of the city of Huelva.


  • Free.


  • +34 959155122


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Weekends and holidays from 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Avenida Manuel Siurot, s / n, 21002.


room

Mirador del Conquero


The best panoramic view of the city and the marshes

  • Although residents and tourists complain about the little maintenance that the City Council does in this area, the views are worth it.


  • From here we can see the city of Huelva and its peculiar skyline, as well as the Marismas de Odiel.


  • During the ascent to the viewpoint, we will cross a residential area where the La Rábida institute is located, the work of Pérez Carasa, one of the most unique buildings in Huelva.


  • Then we will approach this viewpoint to contemplate the excellent views.


  • Free access.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access.


room

Catedral De La Merced


The parish church of La Merced

  • The Cathedral is located in the heart of the city, in a beautiful square populated by palm trees.


  • This monument that was part of the old convent of La Merced, today is the headquarters of the University of Huelva, and also, since 1954, the Episcopal Headquarters and Cathedral of Huelva. It was also declared a National Monument in 1970.


  • The project was commissioned by Alonso Pérez de Guzmán, VIII Duke of Medina Sidonia. The chapel was used for the services of the Discalced Mercedarians convent, which was founded in 1605.


  • The current Cathedral is the result of the modifications that took place in the following three centuries. It was rebuilt in the Baroque style under the direction of Pedro Silva after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.


  • The original architect who designed it is unknown, it is believed that it could have been Alonso de Valdevira, Fray Juan de Santa María or Martín Rodríguez de Castro.


  • It is a church with a basilica-style hall plan, composed of three naves separated by semi-circular arches, and with a central transept.


  • The head of the chapel is presided over by a rococo dressing room from the 18th century, with the sculpture of Our Lady of the Ribbon.


  • We continue the visit at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mercy, located in the Plaza de la Merced.


  • Free access.


  • 9529243036


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday to Friday from 11am to 1pm. Monday to Sunday from 6pm to 8pm. Plaza de la Merced.


room

Iglesia de San Pedro


The oldest parish in Huelva

  • Only by observing the parish from outside can we appreciate its Arab ancestor.


  • This temple was built on the remains of an old mosque, in front of what was once the Castle of Huelva.


  • The Parish is in the Mudejar and Baroque style, its white walls are typical of the buildings of the city and contrast with the pink of its bell tower.


  • The 1755 Lisbon earthquake also wreaked havoc on this building, which has had to be rebuilt several times due to damage suffered during various storms. It also suffered severe damage during the Civil War.


  • The Parish consists of three naves separated by arcades: the Main Chapel, the Gospel Ship and the Epistle Ship. The central nave is higher than the lateral ones.


  • The Choir has been located in the central nave since 1927. The stalls were restored after the Civil War.


  • The sacristy, dating back to 1632, has a rectangular plan and is covered by a vaulted brick vault. Here we can find the Crucified of Forgiveness, a 16th century sculpture, transferred from the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Arcos de la Frontera.


  • We will visit the oldest parish in the city, the Parroquia Mayor de San Pedro Apóstol, located in the Plaza de San Pedro.


  • Free access.


  • +34 959 24 05 47


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: On weekends it opens at 9am. St. Peter's Square, 10.


room

Iglesia de la Concepción


A simple but charming church

  • This beautiful Parish has gone through a lot, it has collapsed due to weather conditions and has been destroyed in the Civil War, but today it is completely renovated and rebuilt. The white of its facade with details in warm tones create a contrast worthy of admiration.


  • It is the second parish church built in Huelva, after the Parish of San Pedro and it is the first parish in Spain consecrated to the Immaculate Conception.


  • The Parish was built in 1515, like the rest of the monuments that we have visited, it was also damaged by the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, so reforms were made to rebuild it, by Pedro Silva.


  • The disasters that this temple has suffered have been many. In 1936, during riots in the Civil War, it was destroyed. But it was rebuilt a couple of years later, under the direction of José María Pérez Carasa. It was also damaged again due to an earthquake in 1967.


  • The exterior of the temple corresponds to the restoration that took place in the 18th century, it is in the Baroque style.


  • The Parish is made up of three naves with apse chapels at the head. The naves are separated by three semicircular arches. The central nave is covered by a large barrel vault, and the lateral ones by arched wooden vaults, thanks to which the original ceiling can be seen.


  • On the pillars that separate the naves there are two commemorative tombstones corresponding to Captain Andrés Garrocho (1537) and to the priest José Páez Hernández (1936).


  • Now we are going to see the last parish on the route, which is that of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: From 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.


room

Plaza de las Monjas


The historic center of Huelva

  • We can find several music kiosks, restaurants and an information point.


  • Its atmosphere, spaciousness, and the numerous pigeons make this square an ideal place for younger children to play.


  • You can access the Plaza by the Gran Vía where we will find a small fountain and the monument to Columbus.


  • It has been known as Plaza de Abajo, Plaza Nueva, Plaza de San Juan, Plaza del Rey, Plaza de Isabel II, de la Constitución ... until it was given its current name of Plaza de las Monjas in 1936, although it also it had been so named in 1805.


  • The square was built on the land near the Agustinas Convent in the 16th century, and it was expanded and modified in the following centuries.


  • The architecture of the square has a semi-open rectangular plan.


  • The Magna Fountain was built in 1942.


  • The Columbus monument was added in 2011.


  • We are going to walk through this beautiful square located in the historic center of the city.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access.


room

Mercado del Carmen


Culture and leisure in the center of Huelva

  • In the theater we can find opera, flamenco, concerts, festivals and many other shows.


  • The market is known for the price and quality of the fish and seafood that can be found.


  • The palace-style Town Hall was built in 1949, inside there is a beautiful Andalusian patio.


  • The Theater dates from 1923, it is the work of Pedro Sánchez y Núñez, and arises from the need for cultural activities in the city due to the industrial boom of the 19th century.


  • Next we will visit the Huelva City Hall in the Plaza de la Constitución, the Gran Teatro, located on Vázquez López street and the famous market of the city.


  • Free access.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Monumento a la Virgen del Rocío


The religious spirit of Huelva made bronze

  • From the tranquility of a park with palm trees, we can contemplate the infinity of details of this beautiful sculpture that represents the religious spirit and devotion of the Huelva people.


  • The monument measures 4.30 meters high by 3 meters wide, weighs about 6,000 kg.


  • It is made of patinated bronze, and represents a scene from a procession, specifically the procession of the Lily of the Marshes, which takes place on Pentecost Monday.


  • The author of the sculpture is Elías Rodríguez Picón, and it was installed in 2011.


  • Among the symbols of this image are the medals of the brotherhoods of Nuestra Señora del Rocío de Huelva, Emigrants and Rociana del Condado.


  • It highlights the peculiarity that it does not have a support or base and is at the height of the viewer.


  • A curiosity is that the author used real characters to make his sculpture, among the characters is Elías himself with his father and two-year-old son.


  • Then we will pass by this emblematic sculpture, a symbol of Huelva's devotion to the Virgen del Rocío.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Barrio Reina Victoria


The English architectural legacy in the heart of Huelva

  • There are 274 houses, all of them are unique and different from each other, it is interesting to take a walk around the neighborhood to appreciate the details of the houses.


  • Part of the heritage of the Río Tinto Company Limited along with the pier we just visited and the Casa Colón, is this neighborhood of English-style houses, built in 1916.


  • The neighborhood consists of eight hectares of extension, is structured like a small city with nine parallel streets, squares and gardens, is located on a small elevation known as Cerro de San Cristobal, and is delimited by a wall.


  • The English style of the houses is combined with Andalusian, colonial and neo-Mudejar architecture, similar to what we can find in German or Dutch houses.


  • The neighborhood was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 2002.


  • Now we are going to take a walk through the Barrio Obrero, better known as the Barrio de Reina Victoria.


  • Free access.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access.


room

Monasterio de la Rábida


The discovery of America from Huelva

  • During the visit, we will be able to see the Monastery, the library with a copy of Juan de la Cosa's world map that portrayed America for the first time.


  • There are free audio guides in several languages.


  • In this Monastery Christopher Columbus found lodging in 1485, and he met Fray Juan Pérez and Fray Antonio de Marchena, who helped him make contacts with the Huelva crown and sailors, putting him in contact with Martín Alonso Pinzón, co-discoverer of America.


  • Martín Alonso Pinzón is buried in this Monastery.


  • The Church is made up of a main nave, a main chapel and the chapel of the Virgen de los Milagros.


  • The Cloister dates from the 15th century, it was built in the Mudejar style and is what is best preserved after the Lisbon earthquake.


  • The Cloister dates from the 15th century, it was built in the Mudejar style and is what is best preserved after the Lisbon earthquake.


  • The simple chapter house, the largest cell in the Monastery, is known as Father Marchena's cell. There are theories that Fray Antonio de Marchena, Pinzón or the physicist Garcí Fernández spoke in this room. It was rebuilt in the 17th century.


  • The next destination on our route is the Monastery of La Rábida, a beautiful place with great historical importance located in Palos de la Frontera.


  • 3.5 euros.


  • + 34 959350411


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: From 10am to 1pm and from 4pm to 7pm. On Mondays and Christmas holidays it is closed.


room

Muelle de Las Carabelas


Remembering the discovery of America

  • In addition to the caravels, we can visit the interpretation center, the medieval quarter and the Isla del Encuentro.


  • The pier closes half an hour after the end of ticket sales.


  • Here we will find the reproductions of La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, which were built in 1992 to celebrate the fifth centenary of the discovery of America.


  • The largest caravel is the Santa María, it is located in the center and to the sides La Pinta and La Niña.


  • The environment prior to the discovery of America in the city has also been imitated through the medieval port district. Here we will find a market, carts and other characteristic elements of the 15th century.


  • Here is the interpretation center, where there is a 30-minute projection in which historical events prior to the discovery of America are reviewed.


  • The Island of the Encounter, is a part of the exhibition where the indigenous culture of the first American island on which Christopher Columbus landed on October 12, 1492, the Guanahani Island, which he would call San Salvador, has been recreated.


  • Finally, also in Palos de la Frontera, we are going to visit the Muelle de las Carabelas Museum.


  • 3.60 Euros, general admission.


  • +34 95930597


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Summer: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Rest of the year from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.


room

Muelle de mineral de la compañía Riotinto


Strolling over the marshes

  • You can walk and fish, it is very beautiful at sunset and during sunset.


  • The Río Tinto Company Limited purchased the mining operations of Huelva in 1873, which promoted their development and turned the city into the world capital of copper exports.


  • The Pier was built between 1874 and 1876, and is located on marshes on the Odiel river.


  • It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 2003.


  • Now we are going to take a walk along the mineral pier of Riotinto, known as Muelle del Tinto, a commercial pier famous in Huelva for its views.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access. Calle Presidente Adolfo Suárez, s / n.



2 Ratings

davidzam

davidzam

Conocí la bella ciudad de Huelva, sobre todo su historia. Así que me deleité con El Santuario de la Virgen de la cinta, las iglesias de la Merced, la de San Pedro y más. Agradecido a esta guía por toda la información importante suministrada.

31/07/2020

oihan

oihan

Perfecto itinerario si dispones de poco tiempo 😉

31/10/2019