4-day trip to Huelva and surroundings


A tour of the most emblematic places in Huelva: history, landscapes and beaches.

lightbulb_outline291 Tips

crop_original100 Photos

location_on25 Places

room

Santuario de Nuestra Señora de La Cinta


Sanctuary in El Conquero

  • It is located at the top of a hill in the area known as Cabezo del Conquero, from where you can enjoy magnificent views.


  • In Marian iconography, the Virgen de la Cinta is a symbol of comfort and protection. Christian tradition tells that the Virgin gave a ribbon to Saint Monica as a symbol of the future conversion of Saint Augustine.


  • This religious monument in Gothic style dates from the 15th century, although it has been transformed later.


  • In the 18th century, a second floor was built over the church as a guesthouse and a house for the santero, and in 1955 the patio, the railings and the side chapels were renovated.


  • It is made up of three brick naves separated by pointed arches on semi-columns, crowned by capitals.


  • The main nave preserves a horseshoe arch that recalls its Mudejar ancestry.


  • The mural with the fresco painting of the Virgen de la Cinta that presides over the main Chapel was painted with egg tempera and gold leaf. It has been recently restored.


  • We begin the visit in the area of "El Conquero", visiting the Hermitage of the Patron of the city of Huelva.


  • Free access.


  • +34 959155122


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Weekends and holidays from 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 4.30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Avenida Manuel Siurot, s / n, 21002.


room

Mirador del Conquero


The best panoramic view of the city and the marshes

  • Although residents and tourists complain about the little maintenance that the City Council does in this area, the views are worth it.


  • From here we can see the city of Huelva and its peculiar skyline, as well as the Marismas de Odiel.


  • During the ascent to the viewpoint, we will cross a residential area where the La Rábida institute is located, the work of Pérez Carasa, one of the most unique buildings in Huelva.


  • Then we will approach this viewpoint to contemplate the excellent views.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Free access.


room

Catedral De La Merced


The parish church of La Merced

  • The Cathedral is located in the heart of the city, in a beautiful square populated by palm trees.


  • This monument that was part of the old convent of La Merced, today is the headquarters of the University of Huelva, and also, since 1954, the Episcopal Headquarters and Cathedral of Huelva. It was also declared a National Monument in 1970.


  • The project was commissioned by Alonso Pérez de Guzmán, VIII Duke of Medina Sidonia. The chapel was used for the services of the Discalced Mercedarians convent, which was founded in 1605.


  • The current Cathedral is the result of the modifications that took place in the following three centuries. It was rebuilt in the Baroque style under the direction of Pedro Silva after the 1755 Lisbon earthquake.


  • The original architect who designed it is unknown, it is believed that it could have been Alonso de Valdevira, Fray Juan de Santa María or Martín Rodríguez de Castro.


  • It is a church with a basilica-style hall plan, composed of three naves separated by semi-circular arches, and with a central transept.


  • The head of the chapel is presided over by a rococo dressing room from the 18th century, with the sculpture of Our Lady of the Ribbon.


  • We continue the visit at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Mercy, located in the Plaza de la Merced.


  • Free access.


  • 9529243036


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday to Friday from 11am to 1pm. Monday to Sunday from 6pm to 8pm.


room

Iglesia de San Pedro


The oldest parish in Huelva

  • Only by observing the parish from outside can we appreciate its Arab ancestor.


  • This temple was built on the remains of an old mosque, in front of what was once the Castle of Huelva.


  • The Parish is in the Mudejar and Baroque style, its white walls are typical of the buildings of the city, and contrast with the pink of its bell tower.


  • The 1755 Lisbon earthquake also wreaked havoc on this building, which has had to be rebuilt several times due to damage suffered during various storms. It also suffered severe damage during the Civil War.


  • The Parish consists of three naves separated by arcades: the Main Chapel, the Gospel Ship and the Epistle Ship. The central nave is higher than the lateral ones.


  • The Choir has been located in the central nave since 1927. The stalls were restored after the Civil War.


  • The sacristy, dating back to 1632, has a rectangular plan and is covered by a vaulted brick vault. Here we can find the Crucified of Forgiveness, a 16th century sculpture, transferred from the San Juan de Dios Hospital in Arcos de la Frontera.


  • We will visit the oldest parish in the city, the Parroquia Mayor de San Pedro Apóstol, located in the Plaza de San Pedro.


  • Free access.


  • +34 959 24 05 47


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: On weekends it opens at 9am. St. Peter's Square, 10.


room

Iglesia de la Concepción


A simple but charming church

  • This beautiful Parish has gone through a lot, it has collapsed due to weather conditions and has been destroyed in the Civil War, but today it is completely renovated and rebuilt. The white of its facade with details in warm tones create a contrast worthy of admiration.


  • It is the second parish church built in Huelva, after the Parish of San Pedro, and it is the first parish in Spain consecrated to the Immaculate Conception.


  • The Parish was built in 1515, like the rest of the monuments that we have visited, it was also damaged by the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, so reforms were made to rebuild it, by Pedro Silva.


  • The disasters that this temple has suffered have been many. In 1936, during riots in the Civil War, it was destroyed. But it was rebuilt a couple of years later, under the direction of José María Pérez Carasa. It was also damaged again due to an earthquake in 1967.


  • The exterior of the temple corresponds to the restoration that took place in the 18th century, it is in the Baroque style.


  • The Parish is made up of three naves with apse chapels at the head. The naves are separated by three semicircular arches. The central nave is covered by a large barrel vault, and the lateral ones by arched wooden vaults, thanks to which the original ceiling can be seen.


  • On the pillars that separate the naves there are two commemorative tombstones corresponding to Captain Andrés Garrocho (1537) and to the priest José Páez Hernández (1936).


  • Now we are going to see the last parish on the route, which is that of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: From 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.


room

Plaza de las Monjas


The historic center of Huelva

  • We can find several music kiosks, restaurants and an information point.


  • Its atmosphere, spaciousness, and the numerous pigeons make this square an ideal place for younger children to play.


  • You can access the Plaza by the Gran Vía where we will find a small fountain and the monument to Columbus.


  • It has been known as Plaza de Abajo, Plaza Nueva, Plaza de San Juan, Plaza del Rey, Plaza de Isabel II, de la Constitución ... until it was given its current name of Plaza de las Monjas in 1936, although it also it had been so named in 1805.


  • The square was built on the land near the Agustinas Convent in the 16th century, and it was expanded and modified in the following centuries.


  • The architecture of the square has a semi-open rectangular plan.


  • The Magna Fountain was built in 1942.


  • The Columbus monument was added in 2011.


  • We are going to walk through this beautiful square located in the historic center of the city.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Free access.


room

Mercado del Carmen


Culture and leisure in the center of Huelva

  • In the theater we can find opera, flamenco, concerts, festivals and many other shows.


  • The market is known for the price and quality of the fish and seafood that can be found.


  • The palace-style Town Hall was built in 1949, inside there is a beautiful Andalusian patio.


  • The Theater dates from 1923, it is the work of Pedro Sánchez y Núñez, and arises from the need for cultural activities in the city due to the industrial boom of the 19th century.


  • Next we will visit the Huelva City Hall in the Plaza de la Constitución, the Gran Teatro, located on Vázquez López street and the famous market of the city.


  • Free access.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Museo de Huelva


Contemporary Huelva art and archeology

  • This museum allows us to know the contemporary painting of Huelva artists, in addition to its interesting archaeological collection.


  • The building was inaugurated in 1973, consists of three floors and more than 3000 m².


  • In the Fine Arts section, we can visit four rooms with works from other Museums such as the Fine Arts Museum in Seville, or the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid. Notable are the works of contemporary painters Mateo Orduña Castellano, José Caballero and José Alcoverro, among others.


  • The Ethnology section consists of a space in which temporary exhibitions are held and is based on the traditions of the province of Huelva and Seville.


  • In the archaeological section, the largest of the three, we can take a chronological journey from the Paleolithic to the Reconquest.


  • The exhibition of the Tartessos contains objects from the Paleolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age, the Treasure of the Zarcita and the reconstruction of a funerary car that was found in the site of La Joya are noteworthy.


  • Other notable works are those rescued from the Rio Tinto Mines, the reconstruction of a Celtic house, or the figurine of an oriental deity from the 8th century BC that represents the Egyptian god Reshef.


  • We are going to visit the Museum of Huelva, a small museum with three sections: Fine Arts, Archeology and Ethnology.


  • Free entrance.


  • +34 959 65 04 24


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Tuesday to Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sundays from 0 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed Monday. Alameda Sundheim, 13, 21003 Huelva


room

Monumento a la Virgen del Rocío


The religious spirit of Huelva made bronze

  • From the tranquility of a park with palm trees, we can contemplate the infinity of details of this beautiful sculpture that represents the religious spirit and devotion of the Huelva people.


  • The monument measures 4.30 meters high by 3 meters wide, weighs about 6,000 kg.


  • It is made of patinated bronze, and represents a scene from a procession, specifically the procession of the Lily of the Marshes, which takes place on Pentecost Monday.


  • The author of the sculpture is Elías Rodríguez Picón, and it was installed in 2011.


  • Among the symbols of this image are the medals of the brotherhoods of Nuestra Señora del Rocío de Huelva, Emigrants and Rociana del Condado.


  • It highlights the peculiarity that it does not have a support or base and is at the height of the viewer.


  • It highlights the peculiarity that it does not have a support or base and is at the height of the viewer.


  • A curiosity is that the author used real characters to make his sculpture, among the characters is Elías himself with his father and two-year-old son.


  • Then we will pass by this emblematic sculpture, a symbol of Huelva's devotion to the Virgen del Rocío.


  • Free access.


  • 0 min - 15 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Muelle de mineral de la compañía Riotinto


Strolling over the marshes

  • You can walk and fish, it is very beautiful at sunset and during sunset.


  • The Río Tinto Company Limited purchased the mining operations of Huelva in 1873, which promoted their development and turned the city into the world capital of copper exports.


  • The Pier was built between 1874 and 1876, and is located on marshes on the Odiel river.


  • It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 2003.


  • Now we are going to take a walk along the mineral pier of Riotinto, known as Muelle del Tinto, a commercial pier famous in Huelva for its views.


  • Free access.


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access. Calle Presidente Adolfo Suárez, s / n.


room

Barrio Reina Victoria


The English architectural legacy in the heart of Huelva

  • There are 274 houses, all of them are unique and different from each other, it is interesting to take a walk around the neighborhood to appreciate the details of the houses.


  • Part of the heritage of the Río Tinto Company Limited along with the pier we just visited and the Casa Colón, is this neighborhood of English-style houses, built in 1916


  • The neighborhood consists of eight hectares of extension, is structured like a small city with nine parallel streets, squares and gardens, is located on a small elevation known as Cerro de San Cristobal, and is delimited by a wall.


  • The English style of the houses is combined with Andalusian, colonial and neo-Mudejar architecture, similar to what we can find in German or Dutch houses.


  • The neighborhood was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 2002.


  • Now we are going to take a walk through the Barrio Obrero, better known as the Barrio de Reina Victoria.


  • Free access.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Free access.


room

Monasterio de la Rábida


The discovery of America from Huelva

  • During the visit, we will be able to see the Monastery, the library with a copy of Juan de la Cosa's world map that portrayed America for the first time.


  • There are free audio guides in several languages.


  • In this Monastery Christopher Columbus found lodging in 1485, and he met Fray Juan Pérez and Fray Antonio de Marchena, who helped him make contacts with the Huelva crown and sailors, putting him in contact with Martín Alonso Pinzón, co-discoverer of America.


  • Martín Alonso Pinzón is buried in this Monastery.


  • The Church is made up of a main nave, a main chapel and the chapel of the Virgen de los Milagros.


  • The Cloister dates from the 15th century, it was built in the Mudejar style and is what is best preserved after the Lisbon earthquake.


  • The simple chapter house, the largest cell in the Monastery, is known as Father Marchena's cell. There are theories that Fray Antonio de Marchena, Pinzón or the physicist Garcí Fernández spoke in this room. It was rebuilt in the 17th century.


  • The next destination on our route is the Monastery of La Rábida, a beautiful place with great historical importance located in Palos de la Frontera.


  • 3.5 euros.


  • + 34 959350411


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: From 10am to 1pm and from 4pm to 7pm. On Mondays and Christmas holidays it is closed.


room

Monumento a la Fe Descubridora


A look at America

  • From where we will visit the monument, we can enjoy magnificent views of the Ría de Huelva.


  • There are seating areas and a bar.


  • The sculpture was donated by the United States in 1929, it is the work of the American artist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney.


  • According to the author, she wanted to give the sculpture a symbolic character; “The monument to Columbus does not, then, represent Columbus bodily. It represents the figure of a navigator who looks with visionary eyes towards the West, towards which the famous discoverer must also have looked, when he sensed America ”.


  • The monument was built with stone from Huelva, and is considered cubist in style.


  • It is 37 meters tall.


  • On the pedestal on which the navigator stands, we can see bas-reliefs representing the Inca, Mayan, Aztec and Christian cultures, or the four continents: Asia, Africa, Europe and America.


  • To end the morning we will see the also known as the Columbus Monument, a commemorative sculpture located in Punta del Sebo.


  • Free access.


  • +34 959210101


  • 15 min - 30 min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access.


room

Muelle de Las Carabelas


Remembering the discovery of America

  • In addition to the caravels, we can visit the interpretation center, the medieval quarter and the Isla del Encuentro.


  • The pier closes half an hour after the end of ticket sales.


  • Here we will find the reproductions of La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, which were built in 1992 to celebrate the fifth centenary of the discovery of America.


  • The largest caravel is the Santa María, it is located in the center and to the sides La Pinta and La Niña.


  • The environment prior to the discovery of America in the city has also been imitated through the medieval port district. Here we will find a market, carts and other characteristic elements of the 15th century.


  • Here is the interpretation center, where there is a 30-minute projection in which historical events prior to the discovery of America are reviewed.


  • The Island of the Encounter, is a part of the exhibition where the indigenous culture of the first American island on which Christopher Columbus landed on October 12, 1492, the Guanahani Island, which he would call San Salvador, has been recreated.


  • Finally, also in Palos de la Frontera, we are going to visit the Muelle de las Carabelas Museum.


  • 3.60 Euros, general admission.


  • Discounts for students, pensioners and groups.


  • +34 95930597


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Summer: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Rest of the year from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.


room

Monasterio de La Rábida


The discovery of America from Huelva

  • During the visit, we will be able to see the Monastery, the library with a copy of Juan de la Cosa's world map that portrayed America for the first time.


  • There are free audio guides in several languages.


  • In this Monastery Christopher Columbus found lodging in 1485, and he met Fray Juan Pérez and Fray Antonio de Marchena, who helped him make contacts with the Huelva crown and sailors, putting him in contact with Martín Alonso Pinzón, co-discoverer of America.


  • Martín Alonso Pinzón is buried in this Monastery.


  • The Church is made up of a main nave, a main chapel and the chapel of the Virgen de los Milagros.


  • The Cloister dates from the 15th century, it was built in the Mudejar style and is what is best preserved after the Lisbon earthquake.


  • The simple chapter house, the largest cell in the Monastery, is known as Father Marchena's cell. There are theories that Fray Antonio de Marchena, Pinzón or the physicist Garcí Fernández spoke in this room. It was rebuilt in the 17th century.


  • The next destination on our route is the Monastery of La Rábida, a beautiful place with great historical importance located in Palos de la Frontera.


  • 3,5 €


  • 959350411


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    From 10am to 1pm and from 4pm to 7pm. On Mondays and Christmas holidays it is closed.


room

Monumento a Colón


An essential when visiting Huelva

  • From where we will visit the monument, we can enjoy magnificent views of the Ría de Huelva that you cannot miss.


  • The sculpture was donated by the United States in 1929 and is the work of the American artist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney.


  • According to the author, she wanted to give the sculpture a symbolic character; “The monument to Columbus does not, then, represent Columbus bodily. It represents the figure of a navigator who looks with visionary eyes towards the West, towards which the famous discoverer must also have looked, when he sensed America ”.


  • The monument was built with stone from Huelva and is considered cubist in style.


  • It is 37 meters tall.


  • On the pedestal on which the navigator stands, we can see bas-reliefs representing the Inca, Mayan, Aztec and Christian cultures, or the four continents: Asia, Africa, Europe and America.


  • To continue the morning, we will see the also known as the Columbus Monument, a commemorative sculpture located in Punta del Sebo.


  • Free access


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed


room

Muelle de las Carabelas


Remembering the discovery of America

  • In addition to the caravels, we can visit the interpretation center, the medieval quarter and the Isla del Encuentro, totally recommended.


  • The pier closes half an hour after the end of ticket sales.


  • Here we will find the reproductions of La Pinta, La Niña and La Santa María, which were built in 1992 to celebrate the fifth centenary of the discovery of America.


  • The largest caravel is the Santa María, it is located in the center and to the sides La Pinta and La Niña.


  • The environment prior to the discovery of America in the city has also been imitated through the medieval port district. Here we will find a market, carts and other characteristic elements of the 15th century.


  • Here is the interpretation center, where there is a 30-minute projection in which historical events prior to the discovery of America are reviewed.


  • The Island of the Encounter, is a part of the exhibition where the indigenous culture of the first American island on which Christopher Columbus landed on October 12, 1492, the Guanahani Island, which he would call San Salvador, has been recreated.


  • Finally, also in Palos de la Frontera, we are going to visit the Muelle de las Carabelas Museum.


  • min - min


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Summer: Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 9pm. Rest of the year from 9.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.


room

Minas de Riotinto


Martian landscapes: an excursion from another planet

  • During this excursion we will be able to take a 12 km train ride through the mines, an underground walk through the Peña de Hierro mines, and visits to the English quarter of Riotinto and the mining museum.


  • We will be able to experience in first person a recreation of how the miners worked in the mines.


  • We can also contemplate the landscape from the Cerro Colorado mine, it is found leaving Riotinto on the way to Nerva.


  • This landscape has witnessed hundreds of years of mining activity: gold, silver, copper, quartz, pyrites and calcites were the reason for its exploitation for so many years. This activity has altered the landscape, already special, creating a unique place.


  • The reddish color of the river is due to the high concentration of heavy metals it contains, especially copper and iron, which give this landscape this peculiar aspect.


  • Despite these conditions, some microorganisms have been discovered that are capable of surviving here without oxygen, this caught the attention of NASA, who came to study some similarities found between this area with the planet Mars.


  • The English neighborhood that we can visit here was inhabited by the directors of the mining exploitation, in it we can visit one of the Victorian houses inside, house number 21.


  • To end the day we are going to make a unique excursion to the Riotinto Mining Park.


  • General admission to the Mining Museum and Casa 21 5 euros.


  • General admission to Peña de Hierro 8 euros.


  • Mining Tourist Railway 11 euros.


  • Discounts for minors, retirees and groups.


  • +34 959590025


  • 2 h - 4 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: From 10.30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. (from July to September until 8 p.m.). Ernest Lluch Square, s / n. Huelva


room

Centro De Visitantes Del Parque De Doñana El Acebuche


The home of flamingos

  • Organized excursions can be hired in which a private guide will take us in an off-road car, or visit by car, or on foot.


  • It is recommended to book especially during high season, since the number of daily visits is limited.


  • It is a very interesting place for lovers of photography and ornithology.


  • It is a very interesting place for lovers of photography and ornithology.


  • The reserve has more than 1,300 square kilometers of extension distributed between Huelva, Seville and Cádiz.


  • Among its spectacular landscapes we will find several different ecosystems: -The marshes, which occupy half of the entire extension of the park. -The beach of more than 30 km of fine sand. -El coto, a wooded area of Mediterranean scrub. -The moving dunes.


  • Among the ecosystems we will find different species of fish, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, and especially birds, there are more than 300 different bird species.


  • Doñana is home to some threatened species, such as the Iberian lynx, the imperial eagle, and the gray teal.


  • We can also see deer and wild boar.


  • The most abundant migratory birds are the flamingo, the goose and the stork.


  • It was declared a World Heritage Site in 1994.


  • Another of the stops on our trip to Huelva could not be other than Doñana Park, in the province of Almonte. It is one of the most important reserves in Europe, home to thousands of migratory birds.


  • Guided tours from 30 euros.


  • Free entry to certain areas of the park.


  • +34 959439629 959439627


  • 2 h - 4 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Every day from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.


room

Cuesta de Maneli


Paradisiacal beaches and watchtowers on the Huelva coast

  • It is possible to access Cuesta Maneli beach with dogs, it is one of the best “pet friendly” beaches in Andalusia.


  • There is no coverage at Torre del Río del Oro Beach.


  • Cuesta Maneli beach is in Mazagón, next to another famous beach known as “Rompeculos” in Matalascañas.


  • As for the Torre del Oro, it is located on the Asperillo cliff, in an extensive semi-virgin beach that is part of the coast of the Doñana Park, and of the municipalities Palos de la Frontera, Moguer, Lucena del Puerto and Almonte.


  • The Tower was one of the strongest beacons on the Huelva coastline, Felipe II ordered it to be built as part of a surveillance system, along with other towers such as San Jacinto (Doñana), Zalabar or Carboneras.


  • The vigilance consisted of men on horseback who made rounds between the towers, in addition to the keepers.


  • We will spend the afternoon visiting the most spectacular beaches in Huelva, the Cuesta Maneli beach, and the one known as Torre del Loro, which is actually the Torre del Rio del Oro.


  • Free access.


  • 2 h - 4 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access.


room

Aracena


A town with a lot of history in the Sierra de Huelva

  • In Aracena we can visit the Gruta de las Maravillas, the Castle of Aracena, the Church of Major Pain, the Parish of Santa María de Asunción, the Church of Santa Catalina Mártir or the Museum of contemporary sculpture. We can also go to one of the archaeological sites.


  • It is worthwhile simply to take a walk through the town and visit its squares, full of fountains and water jets, and visit the religious temples mentioned.


  • In this locality archaeological remains were found that determine that there was a human presence in the area since the second millennium BC. Here are the archaeological sites La Cueva de la Mora, Castañuelo, and Cerro del Tambor.


  • Archaeological findings suggest two times of occupation in Aracena, the first corresponds to the 10th to the 11th centuries during the Caliphate of Córdoba, and the second in the 12th to the 13th centuries, corresponding to Al-Andalus, in the Almoravid and Almohad empires. .


  • There is evidence that the area was depopulated between both periods of occupation. The Portuguese repopulated it after the expulsion of the Moors in 1251. The Catholic Monarchs arrived in the town in 1267.


  • In the 20th century, workers from the Riotinto Mines would find their home here.


  • Buildings dating from the 18th century are still preserved in the Plaza Mayor.


  • In the Plaza Alta we will find the Parish Church of Santa María de la Asunción, in Renaissance style, dating from the 16th century.


  • The Church of Santa Catalina Mártir is the current convent of the Carmelites, and stands on an old synagogue.


  • Several of the buildings in Aracena are the project of the Sevillian architect Aníbal González, including the Casino Arias Montano.


  • Today we are going to spend the morning visiting Aracena, a municipality located in the heart of the Sierra de Aracena y Picos de Aroche Natural Park.


  • Free access.


  • 2 h - 4 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Free access. Tourist office every day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.


room

Gruta de las Maravillas


Underground lakes and rock formations

  • The temperature inside the cave is between 16 and 19 ºC, the humidity is 98%, so it is recommended to wear warm clothing.


  • There is limited capacity.


  • It is a huge rock cave and karst foundation, where the erosive-dissolving action of the water takes place on the limestone rocks of the Arazena Castle hill.


  • Its uniqueness and beauty arise from the karst formations that we find inside, its stalagmites, stalactites, striped curtains, aragonites, coraloids, goirs, and of course, from the incredible landscape that is formed in the open spaces of the cave with underground lakes.


  • Specifically, we will find 12 rooms and six underground lakes.


  • It is said that the grotto was discovered by a shepherd, its existence is not known until 1886 and it was not enabled to be visited until 1914. It was the first cave open to the public in Spain.


  • The visit has a route of just over a kilometer inside the cave, it is a circular route.


  • The most impressive rooms of the grotto are the Sala de las Conchas (starting point), where we can see impressive stalagmites, and the Hall of the Glass of God, where we will find spectacular rock formations, which are stained reddish by iron and Copper.


  • The spectacular Gruta de las Maravillas is located in the historic center, in the urban center of Aracena, and deserves special mention.


  • General admission 9 euros.


  • Discounts for groups, children and retirees.


  • 663937876


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Monday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. C / Pozo de la Nieve, s / n.


room

Castillo de Aracena


The Origin of Aracena

  • This is an open-air visit.


  • It is a fortified town, defended by the wall and the fortress.


  • Archaeological findings suggest two times of occupation in Aracena, the first corresponds to the 10th to the 11th centuries during the Caliphate of Córdoba, and the second in the 12th to the 13th centuries, corresponding to Al-Andalus, in the Almoravid and Almohad empires. .


  • The Castle was built during the conquest by Portugal after the expulsion of the Moors, in the 13th century. Its use lasted until the 16th century.


  • The fortress was divided into a parade ground and the fortress, spaces separated by the wall in which the Torre Mayor stands out.


  • As we have said, the origin of Aracena is found here, and with the passage of time the population of Aracena expanded through the valley from Cerro del Castillo, and the old town was depopulated.


  • Next to the Castle, is the Priory Church of Nuestra Señora del Mayor Dolor, the oldest temple in Aracena, consisting of three naves covered with ribbed vaults.


  • The Church dates from the 13th and 15th centuries, it was built in the Gothic-Mudejar style. The outer tower was decorated with sebka cloth, which reminds us of the Giralda in Seville.


  • To finish the visit we are going to approach the Castle, here the town of Aracena begins.


  • General admission 2.5 euros.


  • Discounts for groups, retirees and children.


  • 663937877.


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Winter (October to May): every day, at 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. Summer (June to September): every day at 11:30 AM, 12:30 PM, 1:30 PM, 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM and 8:00 PM. Cerro del Castillo, Aracena.


room

Almonaster la Real


Succession of cultures in the Sierra de Huelva

  • The visit to Almonaster la Real will consist of the Mosque, and the historic center of Almonaster with its hermitages and its Roman bridge.


  • The archaeological discoveries in this area correspond to the Bronze Age, the oldest are from the Roman era and were located in the Mosque.


  • Among the monuments that we can visit in Almonaster are the Hermitage of Our Lord of Humility and Patience, that of San Sebastián, and that of Santa Eulalia.


  • The Chapel of Santa Eulalia is dedicated to the martyr of Mérida, it has a single nave, in the Mudejar style. The most peculiar thing about this temple is that its apse belongs to a Roman mausoleum from the imperial era.


  • Also noteworthy is the Roman bridge through which you can access the Antigua Tenería (leather tanning factory). In his day there was also a mill here.


  • During the last two centuries, this population has lived mainly from mining.


  • In recent years, due to the decline in mining operations, the town of Huelva has suffered the consequences of the rural exodus.


  • Information: turismo@almonasterlareal.es


  • Finally, we are going to visit the town of Almonaster la Real, also located in the Sierra de Huelva, on the edge of the Sierra de Aracena and Picos de Aroche Natural Park


  • Free access.


  • 1 h - 2 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Free access.


room

Mezquita Almonaster


Built on Visigoth remains

  • It is very interesting to observe how different cultures have built their buildings on these lands, even reusing the materials of their predecessors.


  • It is believed that a military enclave existed here next to a building of a sacred character in Roman times. From the Romans the capitals, the shafts and a funeral altar remain that were found in the surroundings of the castle.


  • What we can see today was built on the remains of an old Visigoth basilica, from the 7th century, and the materials were reused.


  • The Mosque dates from the 9th to 10th centuries (Caliphate of Córdoba). It consists of a trapezoidal plan, a patio and a prayer room.


  • It was built in brick, granite ashlars and masonry. It is of Roman, Almohad and Gothic style and is preserved practically intact, which is why it has an exceptional historical and artistic value.


  • After the reconquest it became a hermitage, dedicated to Nuestra Señora de la Concepción.


  • It was declared a National Monument in 1931.


  • The last stop on this trip is the Almonaster Mosque, which is located in the walled remains of Almonaster Castle.


  • Free access.


  • +34 959143003


  • 30 min - 1 h


  • schedule Subject to business hours

    local_activity No ticket needed

    Hours: Every day from 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Cerro del Castillo, s / n.



1 Ratings

vickybcn

vickybcn

Todo Huelva tiene mucho que ofrecer pero recorrer el Parque de Doñana ha sido una experiencia formidable, La superficie del espacio natural ocupa las Provincias de Huelva, Sevilla y Cádiz. Gracias por la guía! nos ha ayudado a descubrir sus alrededores.

05/08/2020